Friday, January 27, 2006

Music Lessons

Well it's Friday night and tonight instead of Thursday I have my music lesson. I can't really call it a guitar or keyboard lesson anymore, Jim(my teacher) and I can run the gamut from how to play a scale to finding some bizarre chordal harmonic convergence that can't be explained. Taking lessons is a gift in some ways. To continue to open your mind to the endless possibilities that music has can never grow old. I think of the elder statesmen and women of rock- a lot touching 60 and still at it. Maybe not like they did 20 years ago but still playing. Even the local scene has changed. It's not as unusual to see someone in their 50's in a band with a bunch of 20 or 30 year olds. In the 80's that DIDN'T happen. It just didn't, unless you were a jazz or a lounge singer. Now you can see a great 18 year old jazz guitarist playing with 50 year old veterans. The change it had to come. Well as rock progresses, so do we. What was current a week ago can be replaced in a second by an unknown internet act, it's an exhilerating time to still be playing. Long Live Rock-be it dead or alive.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

Long live music, whether it be rock, jazz, classical, or pop.

Secret to world peace:

They should all just take music lessons.
:)

I'm looking forward to your answer on the Jazzblog this week... I'll have to come up with a good question!

Jack

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home